Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Task #37: Learn How to Take Blood Pressure (Kim)

37.  Learn How to Take Blood Pressure

My mom has worked as a nurse for years, and she is currently teaching students at NCC in the medical assistant program.  Other than taking lifeguarding CPR and AED training classes and volunteering recreationally at a convalescent home, I have little medical experience.  Because my mom has so much experience in the medical field and I know very little, I wanted to learn a skill she teaches her students as part of my Project Explore.

Learning how to take blood pressure properly takes a lot of practice.  I practiced a few times prior to this video, but mastering the skill would take much longer than it seems on this video.  Prior to me practicing on the video, my mom filmed a short tutorial.  We were able to practice in her lab classroom at NCC on what is called a "sim-man".  Being in this type of classroom was a new experience too because it is clearly not a typical academic classroom.

Here is the short tutorial on taking blood pressure and me practicing on the simulator:



No comments:

Post a Comment