Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Task #23: Writing Experience (Rachael)

23. Writing Experience 

Kim and I are reaching the mid point of our project as we are coming up on our twenty third idea. Project explore had been pretty slow over the break, and we started to brain storm another batch of ideas in choir when we reached the conclusion that not every blog post had to be planned. This notion sparked when I began to tell Kim about what I had done the previous weekend. I babysat for an Orthodox Jewish Family and being the curious critter that I am, I bombarded the little rascals with questions regarding their faith and way of life.

When I walked in all of the children were cleaning up from what seemed to be the evening prayer. They were putting away the "Gartel" which Ellie explained to me as a mini Torah or a Prayer tool similar to a Mazuzah. It is used during the ritual of night time prayer. This was intriguing because I have never experienced anything like that.

It was also very obvious that God has a major presence in these children's lives.  When I asked the boys to sleep, Ellie remarked "But Hashem's not sleeping right?" This comment took me back in two regards. First of all, I did not realize that the word Hashem was a reference to God. I was also very shaken that this little boy had expected me to know the answer to a religion specific question. All though I do not remember what I responded I do remember that this comment put me very off guard.

It is very important to note the fact that even though there is such a difference in culture the children I babysat were very much children indeed! They begged to play games on my phone, asked me to read them books and fought with me when I asked them to go to bed up to the very moment their mom got home! The experience as a whole was very eye opening and interesting to be able to look at a home so rich with culture and religion.



No comments:

Post a Comment