Monday, February 16, 2015

Task #30: Instructional Paint Session (Kim)

30.  Art Task:  Attend an art class and learn how to paint a painting.

As I have reiterated many times in this project, art is not my thing.  Project 52 has motivated me to attempt one art project, but I decided to further expand my art horizons and attend a painting session.  I went to a class at Muse Paint Bar in South Norwalk.  They host painting sessions with snacks and drinks, and an artist stands at the front of the room and teaches everyone how to create a specific painting.  We were given blank canvases, paint, and paint brushes.  Some people to chose to use different colors or designs from the artist, but my friend Olivia and I decided to follow the artist's instructions since this was our first time really painting. 

My blank canvas




The paint provided before all of the color mixing

Our pre-painting selfie


The painting being taught at this lesson was an ocean sunset.  It was completed in layers on the canvas.  An artist taught it in the front of the room, and this example was hanging on the brick wall behind her.


Artist's example hung up in the front of the room.
We started about one-third of the way up on the canvas with the yellow.  We then would paint layers of a darker color working up to a light red.
The sky came next.  The painting looked like stripes before we blended it together and added the clouds.
Clouds added in the sky.
Olivia's painting, the artist' painting, and the example on the wall.
Touching up the clouds.
Adding the reflections of the sun.
Finished product after adding reeds.
Finished products with the artists' example displayed behind us.

Going to Muse was an entirely new experience for me, but not only because I have no idea how to paint or draw.  It was also because it had a very different atmosphere than what I am used to in a regular class.  Talking, conferring, and even singing along with the music playing was encouraged. Making a complete mess was practically encouraged, too; as you can tell from my pictures, paint is on everything at Muse, and that isn't considered a problem. Though the instructors wanted you to concentrate and be proud of your painting, they really wanted you to have a great time.  My painting turned out okay, but I found the black reeds very difficult to get the hang of.  And, as you can tell, they are prominent in the painting so those mistakes are obviously on display.  However, it was a great experience overall, and I would definitely consider returning to Muse for another session.  It is much harder to find things to do for Project 52 because the weather has been so awful, but this was an enjoyable activity to do indoors on a freezing winter night.

No comments:

Post a Comment